Courses after hotel management in Canada are gaining popularity due to a rapid increase in travel and tourism which has increased the demand for hotels.
With a rapid increase in tourism which has increased the demand for hotels, courses after hotel management in Canada are gaining popularity. The duration of a master’s in hotel management program ranges from 12 months to 24 months. Most of the top hotel management universities in Canada have an employability rate of as high as 100%.
Students pursuing a career in hotel management can earn a base salary of $52,416 CAD per annum in addition to immense employment opportunities. The job role of hospitality managers in Canada is to oversee the administrative tasks in hotels or resorts, apply principles of management in the hospitality sector, coordinate with people and ensure smooth operation of day-to-day activities in hotels or resorts. It includes several industries like hotels and resorts, the leisure industry, food and beverage, travel, and event management.
Table of Contents
- Courses after Hotel Management in Canada
- Top Colleges for Courses after Hotel Management in Canada
- Why Study Master’s Courses after Hotel Management in Canada?
- Eligibility Criteria for Master’s Courses in Hotel Management in Canada
- Cost of Master’s Courses after Hotel Management in Canada
- Scholarships for Hotel Management Courses in Canada
- Career Opportunities after Pursuing Hotel Management in Canada
Courses after Hotel Management in Canada
A hotel management course in Canada encompasses the management of hotels, restaurants, and resorts for the purpose of leisure for customers. Listed below are some of the best master’s, graduate certificate, and PG diploma courses after hotel management in Canada for international students:
- Master of Science in Hospitality Management
- MSc in Tourism Management
- MSc in Tourism and Hospitality
- Master of Hospitality Management Studies (MHMS)
- Master of Arts in Tourism Management
- Master of Arts in Sustainable Leisure Management
- Graduate Certificate in Food and Beverage Management
- MBA in Hotel Management in Canada
- PG Diploma in Hotel and Resort Services
- PG Diploma in Hospitality Management
- PG Diploma in Resort Experience Management
- Graduate Certificate in Hotel, Resort and Restaurant Management
- Graduate Certificate in Tourism Management
- Graduate Certificate in Hospitality and Tourism Operations Management
Specializations and Degrees in Hotel Management in Canada
Courses after hotel management in Canada are a cumulation of industrial experiences along with excellent education. Find below some of the popular specializations in which courses after hotel management in Canada are available:
- Food and Beverage Management
- International Hotel Management
- Hotel Operations Management
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
Top Colleges for Courses after Hotel Management in Canada
Hospitality management, or hotel management, is one of the most lucrative careers in Canada in terms of opportunities, compensation, and career growth. Hotel management colleges/ universities in Canada offer unique, industrially oriented courses providing excellent education in the form of degree and diploma programs. Shown below are the top colleges for courses after hotel management in Canada:
- Selkirk College
- Fairleigh Dickinson University
- Thompson Rivers University
- University of British Columbia
- Vancouver Island University
- Capilano University
Selkirk College in Canada offers a 2-year PG Diploma in Hospitality Management that provides relevant knowledge and skills required in the hospitality industry. This program is better suited for professionals like human resource managers, entrepreneurs, and marketing executives in the field of hospitality and tourism. Candidates are required to undergo a 4-month work term from May to September while pursuing their studies. The estimated tuition fee for this PG diploma program is $15,128 for one year, and the cost of books and supplies is $1,240 per year.
- Applicants should have completed a 2-year diploma program or bachelor’s degree
- Minimum IELTS score of 6.5
- Students with an IELTS score of 6.0+ overall band need to take a preparation program
- Applicants are required to acknowledge that they are healthy and fit to lift 25kg
Read More: Selkirk College
Fairleigh Dickinson University
The International School of Hospitality and Tourism Management at Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU Vancouver campus) is one of the best colleges for masters in hotel management in Canada. It has also been recognized as the ‘Best Hospitality and Hotel Management Schools in the World’ according to CEOWorld, 2021.
FDU offers 700+ internship and employment opportunities to its students every year and also has a wide alumni network of more than 3,000 people, which helps in providing more career opportunities for students.
FDU offers a Master of Hospitality Management Studies (MHMS) program that can be applied for by business owners, managers, or other professionals in the hospitality sector meeting the eligibility criteria.
- Applicants must hold a 4-year bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field
- Preference is given to applicants with prior work experience. Students with no relevant experience are required to take pre-foundation courses
- The minimum IELTS requirement for the MHMS program is 6.0
- An interview is required with a Program Advisor at FDU
Read More: Fairleigh Dickinson University
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University offers the Post Graduate Diploma in Resort Experience Management program that teaches the basics of the tourism industry and the fundamentals of hotel and resort management. It also offers in-depth knowledge of topics like hotel operations, event management, and tourism entrepreneurship. Thompson Rivers accepts applications thrice a year in September, January, and May for this PG diploma program.
- 3-4 years bachelor’s degree in any field
- The minimum IELTS overall score requirement is 6.5 and 6.0 in each section
Read More: Thompson Rivers University
University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia (UBC) offers a Master of Science in Integrated Studies in Land and Food Systems (MSc) that encourages research on topics like food production, food processing, food distribution, food consumption, and management of waste food. The application deadline at UBC for international students for January 2023 intake is 1 June 2022.
- 4-years bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 65% overall
- Minimum 6.5 overall IELTS score and 6.0 in each section
Read More: University of British Columbia
Vancouver Island University
Vancouver Island University (VIU) is one of the best universities for a master’s in hospitality management degree in Canada. It offers a Master of Arts in Sustainable Leisure Management program that equips students with practical learning and skills required to create sustainable solutions in the leisure industry. It also provides interdisciplinary knowledge of various issues in leisure services and strategies and policies to promote sustainable leisure. VIU accepts international student applications between October to April.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum overall B grade
- Resume or work portfolio
- 3 letters of reference
- IELTS score of 6.5 bands overall
- A statement of purpose with details about areas of research interest, career interest, and relevant academic and career preparation
Read More: Vancouver Island University
Capilano University (CapU) offers a 2-year Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Global Hospitality and Tourism Management that teaches the basics of hospitality and tourism management and global trends in the hospitality industry. It includes 280-hour hospitality practical experience for students to acquire job-ready management skills. International students are eligible to apply for a 3-year post-graduate work permit after completing their studies.
CapU accepts applications for this diploma twice a year, in the Summer and Fall semesters. Summer applications are opened in the first week of June and continue till the end of October, and Fall applications are opened in the first week of October and continue till mid-April of next year.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum CGPA of 2.0. Preference is given to applicants with a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- A letter of intent is required
- A resume/ work experience summary should also be submitted at the time of application
- Students should submit copies of academic transcripts and certified documents
Read More: Capilano University
Why Study Master’s Courses after Hotel Management in Canada?
A bachelor’s or master’s degree is required to pursue a career in hotel management in Canada. Listed below are a few reasons to pursue a hotel management course in Canada for international students:
- Quality of Education: Canada ranks third-best in the world for the excellent quality of higher education offered at Canadian universities. International students can gain in-depth knowledge of the hospitality industry, which helps them get better job opportunities both in Canada and abroad. In addition to the best infrastructure, Canada is known for offering international students with outstanding education as well as industrial experiences
- Work Permit: Studying master’s courses after hotel management in Canada is beneficial for those students who wish to immigrate to the country. One can apply for a work permit and get a high-paying hospitality job in Canada after completing a postgraduate diploma, degree, or certificate course in hospitality management
- Range of Programs: In addition to bachelor’s and master’s degrees in hospitality management, many universities in Canada offer a 1-year postgraduate diploma or 6 months certificate program in hotel management, food and beverages, event management, and hospitality management. International students get an option to choose the best-suited program as per their academic requirements or skill
- Outstanding Job Opportunities: Hotel management salary in Canada ranges from $39,000 CAD to $80,000 CAD per annum at the base level itself. Moreover, the salary keeps on increasing with a significant increase in the seniority level. New job openings available for hotel managers, assistant hotel managers, and hospitality/ tourism business development managers over the period 2019-2028 to be around 43,400, with 42,700 new job seekers
Eligibility Criteria for Master’s Courses in Hotel Management in Canada
Most universities in Canada ask for a demonstration of prior work experience in the hospitality management industry in addition to the minimum academic requirement of a 2.5 GPA from international students. PG diploma or certificate courses in hospitality management are mostly chosen by working professionals who are willing to acquire relevant skills for hospitality, tourism management, and customer service.
Several universities and colleges in Canada offer a 2-year post-graduate diploma or one-year certificate course in hotel management. In general, the eligibility criteria to apply for a master’s in hotel management in Canada includes a bachelor’s degree in related subjects, a minimum GPA of 2.5, and an IELTS 6.0 band for international students belonging to non-English speaking countries.
Cost of Master’s Courses after Hotel Management in Canada
A PG degree, PG Diploma and Graduate Certificate programs in hotel management in Canada cost around $20,000 CAD to $30,000 CAD per annum. A few courses can also go upto $40,000 CAD based on the university/ program chosen by the candidate.
Students should also bear the cost of living in Canada which costs about $900 CAD- $1,500 CAD per month in addition to program fees. This estimate is calculated on the basis of a single person's basic needs, which include lodging, groceries, clothing, public transit, and other miscellaneous expenses.
Scholarships for Hotel Management Courses in Canada
International students always look for funding options to be able to afford the education offered at Canadian universities. One can also work part-time while studying or do internships to cover their personal expenses. Find below the financial aid options available for international students applying for master's in hotel management courses in Canada:
- BrokerFish International Student Scholarship: $1,000 USD on Health Insurance Expenses
- Debesh Kamal Scholarship: Up to INR 100,000
- The COVID-19 International Returner Bursary Award: $500 CAD- $1,500 CAD
- International Entrance Scholarship: $2,000 CAD off student’s tuition fees over the course of their first year of studies
- Academic Advancement Scholarship: Up to 5 awards of up to $1,000 CAD
- Indspire Post-Secondary Education Scholarship: variable amount
Career Opportunities after Pursuing Hotel Management in Canada
Some of the best hotel management colleges in Canada provide students with adequate opportunities to make their dreams come alive. The average base salary for a hotel manager in Canada comes to around $52,416 CAD per year. Also, the scope of hotel management in Canada is immense with multiple job opportunities. Shown below are the career options after a PG diploma in hotel management in Canada:
Average Annual Salary (in CAD)
Food Service Manager